I‘m still rolling through summer with this cupcake craze, and as I started to think about what flavor to try next, I remembered how much I love butter pecan ice cream. Maybe it was a coincidence, but the first (and only good) Pirates movies was on tv. Of course! I thought, the spirit of Jack Sparrow running through my veins, what about rum? And so these delicious little cakes were born.
For the Cakes:
1 (18.25 oz.) box of Betty Crocker Butter Pecan Cake Mix
1 1/4 cup of spiced rum (I used Captain)-note, this is replacing the water called for on the box. You could use less if you want, but I like to always ask myself, WWJD? What would Jack do? How much rum would the greatest pirate of all time use? Go ahead, go for the full 1 1/4 cup.
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 t. vanilla
palmful of chopped pecans (probably a 1/2 cup, I guess)
For the Icing:
1 stick butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar, or more if you prefer. Do it to taste.
1-2 T. spiced rum
1 t. vanilla
For the Garnish:
- First, turn your oven on. The temp is either 325 or 350, depending on your pan.
- Mix cake mix, rum, oil, eggs and 1 t. vanilla in large bowl and beat well with an electric mixer (or by hand) for about 2 minutes.
- Add the palmful of chopped pecans. The batter will be pretty thin (and smell delightfully rummy).
- Line a muffin/cupcake pan with liners, or spray with Pam for baking, or grease however you want.
- Fill each cup 3/4 full (or less if you want smaller cakes, though if there ever was a time for a muffin top, this is it.) Just sayin’.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Do the toothpick test after 15 minutes. If they’re not ready yet, check every 2-3 minutes after. No one likes a dry cupcake.
- After a minute or so, pop them out of the pan and let them cool on the counter to prevent them from continuing to cook in the warm pan.
- Once they have cooled for a few minutes, brush the tops with a little rum.
- Look over your shoulder-was that a pirate outside the window?
- While the second batch is in the oven, make the icing: Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Mix with a wooden spoon until glossy. (You can’t see it very well in the picture, but it should have a slight sheen). I guess you could use a mixer, but it always makes such a damn mess. I LOVED using the wooden spoon.
- Once all of your cupcakes have baked and have been given a healthy bath in sweet, spicy rum, let them sit for a few minutes to absorb the rum. Then, carefully (because the tops will be kind of gushy) spread the icing on the tops.
- Garnish with one beautiful pecan.
Tada! Cupcakes even Jack Sparrow would love to eat. (And if he shows up with a friend, say…Will Turner, give me a call). Oh, and by the way, the top button on your shirt is popping, you buxom pirate wench! Get it together…